Benefits of Chia Seed for horses
- Promotes a healthy, glossy coat
- Stronger, faster growing hooves
- Helps prevent laminitis and insulin disorders
- Boosts the immune system
- Good for respiratory system
- Calms hot nervous temperaments
- Eases mare cycles and estrus inflammation
- Maintains supple joints and healing in connective tissues
- Assists correct development of nervous system, brain, muscles and skeleton
- Repairs & maintains cellular walls
- Anti-inflammatory — can act like "Bute"
- Aids wound healing
- Supports a healthy heart and blood circulation
- Has anti-allergic properties
- Encourages a strong metabolism
- Chia has no strong flavor, easy to top dress
- Easy to store, keeps up to two years
- Economical — replaces several products in one simple grain
- Horses love it!
Equine Chia Nutrition
Chia has the substance essential to cell life'a balanced property of giving out (nutrients) and readily taking up (debris). The name Chia is derived from the Aztec word, chian, meaning oily. It is an ancient seed being rediscovered in America with balanced nutritional components. These tiny seeds are highly palatable! Chia is easy to top-dress on feed with a very mild nutty flavor. Horses love it.
Chia is an excellent source of EFA's (essential oils), antioxidants, minerals, protein, soluble (mucilage) fiber and low NSC (non structural carbohydrate).